Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What I Think About Lawyers

Personally I happen to like lawyers. I think a lot of lawyers get a bad reputation. The media likes to portray lawyers as the ‘bad guys’. In many cases this reputation is undeserved. My mother works with lawyers, so I grew up knowing many lawyers (or attorneys as most of them prefer to be called). Therefore, I have a different perspective on attorneys. I believe that attorneys are there to help you and be your advocate. They speak for you and look out for your best interests. Attorneys put themselves on the line when they go into court to plead your case. It may surprise some people to find out that when they hire an attorney they must agree to be truthful. If your attorney finds out that you have lied to them, according to the retainer agreement- they can fire you. In my opinion people tend to stereotype attorneys. Actually, not all attorneys are criminal defense lawyers or get involved in lawsuits. Some of the most successful attorneys never step foot in court.

Fortunately for me, as I enter my career as an Interior Designer, I will have access to the corporate business attorneys I will need. Every business person at one point or another will probably need the services of a lawyer that specializes in contracts. A good transactional attorney is important to everyone who wants to go into business for themselves. Your attorney makes sure that your position is well represented and negotiates for you before you sign any agreements.


Attorneys may not be cheap but remember that ‘you get what you pay for’. Using an attorney from the beginning can save a lot of trouble in the long run. I am lucky because this will never be an issue for me. When I need an attorney to help me for any reason at all, including starting my business, I know exactly who I will call.

No comments:

Post a Comment