Thursday, May 14, 2009

Greed Is Good week 6

I don' t have much of an opinion about the stock market. I probably feel that way because at this moment it doesn't affect me. I do, however, have an opinion about greedy people. I believe that greed brings out the worst in people. Any kind of greed will have some effect on another person or persons. Also what goes around comes around and greedy people will get there's in the end.
I think that there needs to be a distinction made between greedy people and highly motivated people. People who work hard and are successful deserve to be compensated. However, I don’t think that the managers and decision makers at the top of these failed Wall Street companies should be given bonuses. If their decisions caused the companies to fail, then why should they be given taxpayers’ money for a job that was not well done?

I understand the concern coming from the government over these huge bonuses. If the people currently running these companies manage to turn them around and they start making money, then those executives should be rewarded. I believe the whole situation changed the minute these companies took money from our government. As taxpayers we now own a piece of these companies. They can no longer go about their ‘business’ and not tell us what they are doing. Their ‘business’ is our business as long as they are spending the taxpayers’ money. If these companies start making money and pay back the U.S. government, then I think the executives who make that happen have done a good job and they should be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment